Thursday, February 07, 2008

Waitangi Day

Otherwise known as "The Day it's Okay to be Racist."

I'm not going to go into the whole politics of the situation because that's really not my point. I am just completely appalled and frustrated at the amount of racism still in this country. And if I'm being honest, it's not just racism, it's just a general hate that seems to divide this country.

Last night before I went to bed I was listening to Newstalk ZB. It was Bruce Russell's show, and there was a caller on. You could tell from the caller's voice, and what he said, that he was an elderly white man. I'd just turned it on when I heard him talk about the controversy over Maori carrying the Tino Rangatiratanga flag over the Harbour Bridge, but he didn't describe the people as Maori. He didn't even describe them as people. No, what he did was degrade the entire Maori population by calling them "apes". That's right, bloody apes.

Now, I know there is always going to be racism, and racists, so while I was offended by the comment it rolled off the back pretty easily. What really offended me was the fact that an employee of a high-profile, New Zealand radio station wouldn't correct this ignorant man. No, all he had to say was "If you call people apes, you might get compared to a Cricketer." What the hell is that supposed to mean? Yes there's the controversy over racism in Cricket, but that doesn't tell this man that he's wrong to compare Maori to apes. And to top it off, the caller just laughed, and Bruce joined in.

And then on top of all that, I read this over at D.J. Sir-Vere's blog:

Introducing Mr Barry Corbett, a Christchurch councillor who when questioned about the prosecution of Bruce Emery, the 50 year old who stabbed to death 15 year old Pihema Cameron, he said 'If I was on the jury, I'd let him get away with it, but thats me.' It was reported here in the Herald.

I mean what the f***?

So, I just want to send a big
F*** YOU!
to Bruce Russell, his caller, Mr Barry Corbett and Bruce Emery.

I know it won't do anything, but I don't care.

5 comments:

Glaciers of ice said...

Preach on brother

Unknown said...

Yeah, it ain't cool. I'm with you on that.

And I'm not sure that Waitangi Day should really be celebrated at all, given how it's an anniversary of a bi-cultural country, whereas now, we're so much more multicultural.

Though sadly, it seems as though when you listen to ZB, the racist participants on talkback are the ones who get the most airtime. Kinda stink.

Apex Zombie said...

Glaciers of Ice - Cheers

Marshy - Cheers :)

I used to be against the thought of not celebrating, but I don't know anymore. It definitely should be recognized. If it isn't, then it also lowers the importance of the Treaty. So, I don't know :D

Yeah. I used to listen to ZB a lot, and then I realised it just made me angry so I stopped, but there was nothing on that night and I just happened to switch over at the right time.

cmae said...

I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds awful, and you sound justified in feeling the way you do.

Racism in the States is alive and well also. Racism and other "isms" of discrimination and prejudice. Better for me NOT to get started on that...

Apex Zombie said...

Yeah. I get quite riled up by all the hate in the world. But then I worry if I'm being hypocritical.