Saturday, March 22, 2008

What To Do When Your Blog Is Dying

The FLG has never really caught on. It started out being my only blog, then I opened up The FLG's Log to handle all the weight loss blogging while trying to keep The FLG as my personal blog. The problem soon arose, however, that I had nothing to post in The FLG because blogging about weight loss is very personal. Everything just seemed to drift over to the Log, and The FLG died.

After closing The FLG I went on with things over at the Log, which had already gathered a few readers. It became my blog for everything I wanted to post, a jack-of-all-trades if you will. After a while I started to notice that it had become sort of bloated (pardon the pun), and I tried to scale things back as far as topics were concerned. This led to a stifling feeling, like I couldn't post anything I wanted, so I thought about it and eventually re-opened The FLG.

The FLG opened rather unceremoniously, and I once again had an outlet for whatever I wanted to post. And I did... at first. Then I got caught in the trap of creating a concept that I couldn't keep up with. I wanted to make The FLG great, and put a spin on the concept, making this a blog about things average Fat Lazy Guys are interested in. Y'know, music, gaming, tech, etc. But I'm no authority, nor do I have an opinion on everything that's coming out. And so that brings us to now.

What To Do When Your Blog Is Dying

There's a number of things you can do, and they're probably really obvious.

1. Close Your Blog - Sometimes you just have to count your losses and move on. This doesn't mean you have to stop blogging all together, just in this particular blog. Be sure to save any good content, though, as it's yours, and you're free to reproduce and republish as you see fit.

2. Reinvent Your Blog - You may have a great title, great blog design, but a poor concept. Think about things you're passionate about, and have lots of opinions about, and blog about them. You can try to be like everyone else, or you can just be yourself. It's much easier to be yourself.

3. Persevere - You may be doing everything right, and still just have no readers. In that case, I'd just keep going, and keep at it. Have a look at sites like ProBlogger, and find ways you can advertise your blog. If your blog is worth reading, it'll be read eventually.

4. Do Nothing - Similar to closing your blog, only with less effort. Just let the blog die :D

What am I planning to do? At the moment, #4. Then perhaps later, #2. We'll see :D

No comments: