Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Just Testing *update again*

*updated 25/01/08 7:33 pm* So I went ahead and changed the images anyway. I'm liking it. What do y'all think? */update*

*updated 25/01/08*
Updated text colour, post title colour, link colour, and date & sidebar header colours. I didn't want to update the images yet just incase y'all think the new colours don't work. So, opinions? And thanks again for all the help! */update*

So this is just a test post in order to work out the colours. It's basically the same design as The Fat Lazy Guy's Log, only different colours. I still wanted to keep brown as a base, but I didn't want to do variations of it like the original. I wanted to add some colour, like I had with TFLGL, and I think I managed to do that with some respect. I actually did some research into colour palettes in regards to interior design, and they ended up coming into play with this, so that was good.

The primary reason for the test is to test the colour of the text against the background image. I wasn't sure how similar they were, and whether or not there was enough of a contrast in order for the text, when over the background image, to be visible.

This should be enough.

5 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I think your text needs to be lighter - there's not quite enough contrast

Apex Zombie said...

Cheers for that Kim :) Duly noted, and changed. If you see this again, let me know what you think.

Kim Ayres said...

I think you could go lighter again - have you tried white?

Unknown said...

Hmmmm... I honestly think it doesn't work. The pink, the moss green - I think both individually work well with brown, but not together with brown. (And I'm a brown lover, my blog is a beautiful shade of chocolate and I find myself staring at it wondering how lucky I got with the hex for it)

You can get away with the pink-green-brown thing for the majority of the theme, but I think in particular, the header image needs to be changed - I really think that it doesn't work there.

I agree with Kim regarding the contrast of the text - either the text needs to be lighter, or the background needs to be darker.

I don't mean to sound like I'm tearing your theme to shreds (I know how much work goes into it, since I designed Tully's theme for her and spent ages tweaking mine when I was just beginning with CSS), but I wanted to try to give you some honest, and hopefully constructive feedback. :-)

Apex Zombie said...

Kim - I haven't tried white, no. I shall, though :D

Marshy - Oh no, I totally understand. When it comes to design, you want as objective an opinion as possible.

I was worried I'd have to choose to go with either pink or green. I like the pink-brown combo because it reminds of actual chocolate, and I think I like it better than the green-brown.

The only thing is, if we're being honest, the pink-brown combo is a bit feminine. There's really no two ways to cut it. And I know the blog title kind of takes care of clarifying that this is indeed a male's blog, but if you didn't have that you'd assume this was a girl's blog. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it can be a bit confusing, and being confusing is not good design :D

I'll go re-think it a bit, but seriously, thanks for that input.